Duration: 8 hours (Approx.) | Offered in: English
Drive to visit Jericho, the lowest and the oldest city on earth, your first stop will be taking the cable car up to Mount of Temptation, to the Monastery of the Temptation, where Jesus was tempted by the devil (Matthew 4:8). The cave inside the monastery is where Jesus had fasted and meditated for forty days and nights (Matthew 4:2). From the cable car, you will be able to see the ancient Jericho archaeological site.
Visit Hisham’s Palace, one of the main archeological sites in Jericho. Built-in the 8th century during the Umayyad period as a hunting lodge and winter resort, its name is associated with the Umayyad Caliph El Hisham Ibn Abd Al-Malik. The uncovered excavation shows the remains of the magnificent winter palace that was destroyed by an earthquake in 747 AD, shortly after construction. The site contains royal buildings, a mosque, water fountains, and spectacular mosaic floors.
Visit Zacchaeus Sycamore, where according to tradition, it’s the place where Zacchaeus, the tax collector, climbed a tree to get a better look at Jesus and where Jesus spoke with him (Luke c.19).
On the way back to Bethlehem, you will visit the Shepherds Field where the ‘shepherds kept watch over their flocks by night’ and ‘an angel of the Lord appeared to them’ (Luke 2:8-10).
Arrive at Manger Square and the Church of the Nativity. Enter through the lowered Door of Humility to the Basilica of the Nativity, and down to the Grotto of the Nativity, an underground cave which is the site where Jesus was born and a silver star is marking the exact spot. You will visit the Church of St. Catherine, the Chapel of Saint Joseph (Where the angel of God appeared to Joseph and commanding him to flee to Egypt (Matthew 2:13), visit the Chapel of Saint Jerome, where he translated the Bible into Latin, and the Chapel of the Innocents which commemorates the children who were killed by Herod (Matthew 2:16-18).
A short walk to the Milk Grotto, where according to tradition, a drop of milk felt on the ground while Mary was nursing the baby Jesus and the grotto turned into white color.
You will be taken to the roof of an old building to see a panoramic view of the Old City of Bethlehem and you will visit a local olive wood workshop and have the opportunity to buy locally produced olive wood souvenirs from Bethlehem.
Drive back to Bethlehem 300 Checkpoint where the tour will end and you will take public transportation back to Jerusalem.
PLEASE NOTE THAT HISHAM’S PALACE IS PARTIALLY CLOSED DUE TO RESTORATIOIN WORK IN THE SITE UNTIL April/May 2020.
THE SITE CAN BE PARTILY VISITED OR THE VISIT CAN BE REPLACED WITH JORDAN RIVER OR VIEW OF SAINT GEORGE MONASTERY IN WADI QELT IF YOU PREFER TO DO THAT.
- Private tour
- Pickup from Checkpoint 300 or Bethlehem hotel
- Drop-off at Checkpoint 300 or Bethlehem hotel
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick up and drop off outside of Bethlehem
- Entrance fees
- Cable Car to Mount of Temptation
- Gratuities (optional)
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Departure & Return
You’ll make your own way to Bethlehem 300 Checkpoint (crossing point between Bethlehem and Jerusalem) where your guide will meet you after you cross to Bethlehem side.
Meeting point at Bethlehem 300 Checkpoint.
Check How to get from Jerusalem to Bethlehem
(Click here to look up the location on google maps)
Returns to the original departure point.
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel your tour within (10 days) prior to the date of the tour, the deposit amount is non-refundable.
- If you cancel your tour before (11 days or more) prior to the date of the tour, a full refund of the deposit will apply.
- If you cancel a requested multi-day tour at any time, the deposit amount will be non-refundable.
- If you cancel a requested customized tour that requires arranging/booking any non-recoverable out-of-pocket costs incurred on your behalf such as booking a separate driver, car rentals, admissions, hotel reservations, tickets etc. in less than (10 days) prior to the date of the tour, the amount for any non-recoverable out-of-pocket costs will be non-refundable in addition to the deposit amount.